How It Works
The Smart Alternative to Owning a Car™
A car sharing service gives members 24 hour access to a fleet of cars stationed conveniently around the city. Every car sharing company operates slightly differently, but for the most part, once you are a member:
- Car Sharing is easy to use - cars are usually booked with a simple phone call, and/or over the Internet. You can reserve a car by the hour, for as long or as little as you need.
- Each member has access to cars 24 hours a day.
- Members pick up the car and drop it off at the agreed time. The cars are parked in neighbourhoods conveniently near members' homes, and along transit routes.
- A trip log in the car is filled out after each trip to track time and distance, and note any maintenance required (some companies have this computerized).
- A monthly itemized bill for car use is provided, just like a utility bill.
- Insurance, repairs and even fuel costs are included with membership!
- The car sharing company handles all administration, financing,insurance and maintenance.
- Members often receive discounts through partners when renting cars (for longer trips and vacations); taking the train; renting bikes & inline skates; and eventually, taking transit and more!
- Members even retain - or establish - a car insurance history!
- Due to insurance requirements, will have to meet minimum age and experience requirements to join.
Car Sharing Canada does not own or operate car sharing services. For more information about car sharing in your city, please visit our City List.